Backlight4 upgrade Username not recognised

It is strange that the dates against .htaccess & index.php don’t tally in the Root but they do in the Backlight folder.

Would the Installer have done something with them?

upgrading from Backlight 3 does not require you to upload anything. You just need to go to the Backlight Modules page and click on the Update link.

So when you say:

Remove what you uploaded

Does that mean:

Delete the Backlight and Galleries folders and the .htaccess & index.php that I dragged into the Root?

(The .htaccess & index.php that I dragged into the Root seem to be residing within the Backlight folder somehow.)

I think I see where they went now.

The new backlight & galleries folders that were in the root > backlight folder have now been deleted.

I’ve copied .htaccess & index.php from my Backlight3 installation folders to root > backlight folder.

Still cannot get into admin.

Did I put the .htaccess & index.php into the right place?

I’ve put the Backlight 3 .htaccess & index.php into the Root but still cannot get into admin.

you need to put the index.php and .htaccess from the backlight/ folder of your unzipped BL3 installation folder into the backlight folder on your site.

(the index.php and .htaccess files in the root and in the backlight/ folder are not the same and it’s important that they are in the right place.)

the contents of the unzipped Backlight-3-Installer-xxx folder should be mirrored on your site.
In the root of the unzipped installer folder you see:

backlight/
galleries/
index.php
.htaccess

You should have those exact files and folders in the root of your site

(Inside the /backlight folder of the unzipped installation folder you’ll see several things, including index.php and .htaccess files. Those files are for the backlight folder only.)

Tried just dragging the backlight folder from BL3 to public_html so it would overwrite what was there but it dumped it in _MACOSX somehow!

So I’ve copied the backlight folders/files over individually, index.php & .htaccess are in the backlight folder as well.

public_html > galleries has all my gallery files in there already. Surely I don’t copy the galleries folder from BL3? Won’t that overwrite/delete all my files? I’ve left it for now.

I now have a login page but it does not recognise my login details. How can I get it in there is no password reset?

With all the confusion about index.php & .htaccess I’m not convinced I have the correct ones in the Root now. I’ve tried some backups I had but none of them are clearing the password problem.

You should only replace the index,php and .htaccess files. If you’ve also dragged over the data/ folder you will have effectively wiped your site of all template design, settings, album data, page text etc.

Like I wrote above, those files are mirrored. The two in the root of the unzipped installation folder go in the root of the site.
The two in the unzipped installation folder’s backlight/ folder go in the site’s backlight/ folder.

If you have indeed over written the data/ folder then your old username and password are gone. Use the default credentials:
username: Admin
password: ttg8888

The default credentials: username: Admin password: ttg8888 don’t let me in either.

Although index.php appears in the root when I copy it across the .htaccess does not. It’s icon is white in my original which does not look right. Not sure if that is why i’ts not appearing.

Can you send me a zip file of Backlight 3 so I can re-download it?

Oops. the username should be admin, not Admin

No difference, won’t login.

I looked at your site at https://www.piktour.uk/backlight/
That page looks like a Backlight 1 login.
Did you upload files from Backlight 1?

Also, did you overwrite the data/ folder earlier?

It may well have been…TBH I’ve been trying any old files I could find!

Also that was done at home with the data I have stored there.

I’m in the office now where I’ve found a backup that I took last November. I’ve copied over the Backlight folders and have actually managed to login now!

However, the front end doesn’t work…it says it cannot find the index page.

What’s the best plan from here?

PS. I logged in with my original login

Unfortunately all my Page & Album Templates are missing.

What folder would they have been stored in?

They are stored in the database.
Did you overwrite your data folder when you were replacing things?
If so, did you have a backup of the data folder that you can upload?
If you don’t, I’m afraid you’ll have to start over.

But you can at least geta home page to display. Just log into Backlight p, go to Designer > Pages and click on Home. Click on Edit Properties and set the page to be the index page.

Thankfully our webhosts came to the rescue, they had a backup of the site!

Don’t really know why I didn’t think of them in the first place…it would have saved a ton of stress…and your time, sorry.

So I’ve upgraded to BL4 but we appear to have lost the titles on all the Thumbnails. Is that something to do with the new Lightroom Publisher that’s avialable? Or is it something else I’ve managed to break?

Also can you tell me if BL4 is compatible with PHP8?

Do you mean the thumbnails in the albums or album sets?
Make sure that your album template is displaying titles on thumbnails.
You may need to republish the metadata.

In the album set, it looks like the text color and background color are the same, which makes it look like the text is missing.

I believe BL4 is compatible with php 8. I think @Ben has addressed that in the forum so you could try a search to see what he’s said.

PHP 8 is supported. (Does BL 4.x run with PHP 8.1?)