CART adding categories?

Dear Ben, dear Rod,

thanks for the clarification. It confuses me even more :wink:
Instead of products, I think in licenses, and as we all know, they are calculated according to the use of an image.
For example:
The price of an image for use in a book is usually calculated with the information about the required image size, the print run, the distribution area, etc.
The use of the same image for a website is based on other options and the use in a magazine is based on other different options.
The easiest price management - and it works very well with the Cart-addon - is for prints, postcards, books, calendars, so no problem.
But it is more difficult with licensing for editorial and commercial purposes.
Here the example from the already posted link to the price calculator of lookphotos can serve.
Please have a look at it. Our solution does not have to look the same. It would only be important to be able to add the products with their different options to a category.
Is that feasible???

Many greetings,
Oliver

I think what Olivier would need is an option to provide more than one pricing scheme such as {editorial, commercial, consumer products} instead of just default. If more than one pricing scheme is provided, then the cart would have an additional top-level selector.

Another approach might be using a pricing scheme as I suggested before:

commercial - 1
commercial - 2
consumer product - 1
consumer product - 2
consumer product - 3
editorial - book
editorial - e-book
editorial - intranet
editorial - website / mobile app
editorial - magazine
etc

Then with some javascript magic, the category name needs to be extracted and a new selector created. Obviously the product lists would need to be adjusted accordingly.

Olivier (@volvoxturbo), as a workaround I would just try to define your offerings using the long product names. I think that you should be able to define whatever you need using them. Granted, the product names become a bit ugly by being so long, but at least you should get something going. Maybe create a test gallery so you can verify that, apart of categories, all other settings you need are feasible with Backlight’s cart module.

“…need is an option to provide more than one pricing scheme such as {editorial, commercial, consumer products} instead of just default. If more than one pricing scheme is provided, then the cart would have an additional top-level selector…”

Thanks Daniel, that’s exactly what i need.

Sorry i didn’t express myself clearly :smirk:

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver, that would require a major change to the cart, and is not something that would be feasible.
Another option is to redefine “Product” to be a Licensing field instead. See this album as an example: http://backlight4.somethingchanged.com/galleries/album/

Would that work for you?

Hi Ben, thank you for your time! I will think about this concept and will get back later. Would it be possible to add a 2nd field eg Usage below licensing?

Add Attributes to the Licensing product to create fields below.

(Because of the changes made above, if you add an attribute named “Usage” it will be moved and appear above its parent product.)

Hi Ben,

sorry for my late reply.
How can I try that out?

Best regrads,
Oliver

In Backlight go to Cart > Settings > Languages and click on Manage Language.

Right at the top, change TEXT_PRODUCT to Licensing.
Scroll to the bottom of the same section and change Product (as appears in form for adding items to cart within galleries) to Licensing as well and save.

In the Add to Cart dialog box, the top item that was labeled Product is now labeled Licensing. In the checkout screen, the field that was labeled Product is now labeled Licensing as well.

In Cart > Products, create products that are named after your licensing categories: Commercial, Editorial, etc.

Dear Rod,
thank you for your quick reply! :slight_smile:
I understand better now.
The use of the three categories only makes sense if selecting one shows a list of different types of usage, e.g.

editorial

• book
  • magazine
  • e-book

commercial

• website
  • poster
  • calendar
  • brochure

consumer product

• fine art print
  • etc.

If this is not given, its useless and I can stay with what I did for now on my website. Please check https://www.oliverblum.com/archives/architecture-archive/auditorio-de-tenerife/
The only problem I have now is, that the percentages are displayed after selecting another type of usage.
Could that be fixed?

Thanks alot to all that helped :pray:
Oliver

Those would be the Attributes of each product

Didn’t Ben already address that above?

yes and I followed his instruction.
You can try it:
Please check https://www.oliverblum.com/archives/architecture-archive/auditorio-de-tenerife/
Just click on the icon. The Add Item Card shows up. Play around and you will see no percentages.
But after changing the type of use - e.g. book to magazine - the percentages appear. :thinking:

The Javascript probably needs some tweaking to make that code apply to all options.
I don’t know enough about how it works so Ben will need to advise.

ok, lets see, I’ll try it again :hot_face:

@Ben will probably know why the percentages show up after changing the product after the add-to-cart box initially appears.

Totally unrelated, but I get an error on you page:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (): /favicon.ico

Looks like you have a missing favicon.ico file.

thats true, thanks :wink:

@Ben will probably know why the percentages show up after changing the product after the add-to-cart box initially appears.

Looks like the percentages are removed upon opening the modal, but not updated when a new product with different attributes is selected.

Would be nice to have this as a global cart option.

1 Like

Dear Rod,

I titled the new product “editorial”.
Added Attribut Name “Type of usage”
Added option 1 “book”, option 2 “magazin”

All attributes with their options added after, are related to the options before (book, magazine, website, etc.)
But “book” needs other options than “magazine”, needs other options than “website”…
:thinking:

earlier you had
Product: license type (book, magazine, etc)
Attribute: license attributes for each type of license (run time, page size, placement, etc)
Option: price for each license attribute

you can’t add any more options after that so I think the way you had it earlier is the way it will need to work.