Kookaburra menu behaviour

The “jade halo” is the focus state, used for keyboard navigation. Click someplace; it will go away.

Thanks Matthew.
I’ve just installed Backlight into one of my other domains to test out Kookaburra.
Got to say I was impressed at using a BL4 number order as I had lost the BL5 download and uploaded my copy of BL4 and BL5 installed seamlessly.
Just got to sort some server-side stuff out before I begin practising.
Have a good festive break.
TomO

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Excuse my ignorance, but are we no longer able to have more than one menu deep?

That is correct. For Kookaburra, keyboard navigation is a priority (for accessibility reasons), and I feel that navigation menus deeper than a single level become cumbersome for keyboard users to navigate.

Getting the navigation to work as it does for mouse, touch and keyboard has also been no small feat. It’s one of the most complex parts of app, and deeper levels would take a lot of effort and time to implement properly.

Hi Matthew,

But surely a mouse or touch screen device be it a tablet or phone is the way forward and has been for many years?

So when you say “keyboard navigation” are you saying using a Pc/Mac without a mouse attached?

Web accessibility is not about trends.

In the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) governs everything to do with website accessibility for people with disabilities. ADA outlines that any person or organization must make their website readily accessible and usable by individuals with disabilities if it is for use by the public. It means that your site must be navigable to disabled people using assistive technology. To meet website accessibility legal requirements, you’ll need to ensure that all of your website’s pages are compliant with web accessibility guidelines.

Structural Accessibility … You can test most websites for structural accessibility. It means that you should make sure that your website has no barriers to keyboard users. For example, if it is difficult for a person to navigate the site with a mouse, you need to make the necessary changes to make it easier for them to navigate the website with a keyboard.

Ok that does make sense but does that need to be enforced to everyone accessing the site?

As far as i am aware we not have such requirements yet in the UK, even if this is or does become the case here then a simple tick box to switch between both options is all that’s needed?

A single meu system does restrict things somewhat.

My understanding is that you do have such regulations in place in the UK, actually. See:

This directly references the same international WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standard that I am attempting to interpret into Kookaburra.

However, your feedback is noted, and I will keep it in mind as I continue to develop and improve Kookaburra.

Looking at your existing site, I see the only thing using fly-out menus is the Galleries menu, so I don’t see that you’ll need to compromise much in the meantime. A few potential suggestions:

You could easily elevate Portraits and Weddings to top-level menu items, the fly-outs now becoming drop-downs, and eliminate Galleries as an item (currently, it’s a non-interactive item anyway, so useless).

Or, merge the Galleries links into Portrait Information (now “Portraits”) and Wedding Information (now “Weddings”), which would tighten up the menu overall. The year-albums would then be available from those landing pages, with breadcrumbs providing additional navigation once you’re into that part of the site.

1 Like