Landing pages for albums

Rod

As you can see in the screenshot I sent earlier, the first menu item (Geometria) is linked to a page I have created and added text to. So I am doing what you are saying and it is not working.

And, yes, I am always very careful to Save and changes I make. I just tried making a change and Saving again to make sure and reordering and linking to a page in the Designer>Menu Sets section has not affect on my site.

Stumped!

On your test site, the Geometria menu item is a sub-item of the Photography item. It is also an album in the Photography album set.
I see no Geometria item by itself.
Do you happen to have more than one menu set?
The menu on your test site also has Home, Printmaking, Collage and other items I don’t see on the screen shot of your Menu Set.
I’m wondering if you’ve assigned the menu set you’re working on to the page template.

OK, I think I’m starting to identify some things I’ve been thinking about incorrectly. First, here are my Menu Sets as created in Designer.

The Default Menu Set is where are all the items you see in my Horizontal Navigation bar are created and ordered. I thought that I needed to create another Menu Set for each category that would have a drop down menu of albums because of different galleries. I now think that is wrong - the albums that appear in the drop down are ONLY added by creating an album in Publisher for a Top-Level Set, they are not part of a Menu Set (?). Is the definition of a Top-Level Set a Menu Set item that has a drop down selection list? You create a Top-Level Set in Publisher so that you can add albums to it to populate the drop down menu in an Item defined in Designer>Menu Sets?

I must say I’m not clear on what now appear to be 3 related-in-some-way “Sets”:
Menu Sets
Album Sets
Top-Level Sets

and I suspect therein somehow lies my problem.

But if all the above is true I’m not sure how I can create a landing page for each album in the drop down menus, which is what I want - not a single landing page for “Photography” but a different one for each album in the drop down menus. The only place I see where I can link to one of the 5 kinds of things (Page, Alum, etc) is in Designer>Menu Sets how to I get each of those albums into a Menu Set form so I can make it link to a page?

Does that make any sense?

Menu Sets create the navigation that is displayed on all pages, albums, and album sets. They are assigned to page templates.
If all your album and album set templates use the same page template, they will all have the same navigation.
Most users really only need one Menu Set. I suggest just start by using one Menu Set. The others are just confusing things right now.
The only reason I can think of for multiple menu sets is if you want to present different navigation on particular pages, albums, or album sets within the site.

A Menu Set creates the site navigation. It is not really related to album sets
An Album Set creates a place to publish albums.

A top-level Album Set is contains more album sets and albums. Backlight’s default top-level set is Galleries.

You can create a “landing page” for each album if you wish. Just create a normal page, add text, and add a link to the album. Then add that page to the Menu Set you’re using for the site (the one you’ve assigned to your Page Template).

You don’t need to, it automatically happens in the album set and the corresponding menu drop-down.
Again, you can create a stand-alone page, add text and a link to the album, and then add that page to your menu set.

You should generally only need ONE menu set, which is your site navigation.

Additional sets might be useful if you’re doing things like creating mini-sites for clients, within your main site. But as a page template uses only one set, then you usually should only be using one for the entire site.

If you want a landing page, then just create a page, then add a link to it in your menu set. On that page, somehow provide access to the album.