Background Gradients

Hi

Are there plans in the pipeline to allow for gradients for backgrounds for pages and different page elements? I’m coming from CE3 where I use gradients extensively and would like to use them in Backlight, ideally without resorting to CSS.

If you don’t want to use custom css, then in Pangolin you can add gradients via background images in the page background and the masthead.
First create the gradient image in Photoshop and upload it to Backlight (Designer > Templates > Uploaded images).

In Kookaburra, background images can be added to the Running Head.

adding gradients via custom css isn’t too hard. Once you do it for one area, then you can just copy and past code for other areas and change colors if needed. The challenge will be in finding the correct css selectors but that’s not too hard to do using the browser inspector.

If you want to try custom css, just let us know in the Customization section of the forum.

1 Like

I doubt I will build gradient controls into the Backlight design modules. They were one of the things I cut to simplify things. It basically comes down to the old controls being complex and taking up a lot of space, which made the design UI very imposing for a lot of users, and then the features weren’t used by very many people.

But like Rod says, not to hard to add them via custom CSS, and you can do a lot more with them by writing your own CSS than I would be able to facilitate in a simplified UI.

Thanks Rod and Matthew. I’ve started looking at the pages with the browser inspector. I’m interested to see if I can come close to what I did in CE3.