Backlight 3.1 Upgrade Breaks Top-level Gallery

OK, so I just upgraded to 3.1. Ruh roh.

On my site, I have 4 top-level galleries: Galleries / Private / Client Galleries / Special Projects

In 3.0 publisher, when I open Special Projects there is one Album Set, “Dark Houses Atlanta”

Now there is none.

HELP!

can you add a link to your site?

If I click on “Albums” to the right of the screen (first image),

I do get a hierarchical list of the album set and albums. I guess that’s OK, but before, I click on the words “Special Projects” and got that list.

Also, I get the album thumbnails, but the thumbnails don’t have the album names, rendering that graphical view considerably less (like, mostly) valuable… am I missing something here?

Finally, what are the bullets with a - and + zoom icon for? They don’t do anything…

I feel like I must have really broken something…

I’m able to see the Dark Houses Atlanta set under Special Projects. Try clearing browser cache.

Yep. That’s the problem. That probably should have been obvious, I guess. But I, mean, the upgrade was so smooth…

BTW, it was right on the website itself, just not in Backlight publisher. I had to refresh Publisher’s cache…

Are you referring to the website view of things or your view from Backlight?
The plus and minus icons zoom in or out of the thumbnail grid when viewing your albums or sets. It’s there to help you visualize how the site will look with different number of columns. Matt explains it in the video found in this post:
https://blog.theturninggate.net/2020/09/17/backlight-3-1-released/

OK, so saw that in the video but didn’t connect it with the bullets there.

I AM talking about the Backlight Publisher view of things and it’s still not right… I think I remember in the video, that I should be able to click on the thumbnail of the album set, but when I do that, nothing happens. Note I didn’t have a cover image before, so it’s a null thumbnail. But when I click on that, nothing happens. I was expecting to go into my albums in that album set…

It’s like, the only way I can see the albums is to back out of this Special Projects top level gallery screen (in my last reply), then click “Albums” where I now the the “Dark Houses Atlanta” album set. When I click that, I get the grid, which does now have the album titles with the thumbnails…

Is this working as designed, or do I still have something wrong?

You should be able to click on the thumbnail and go into the album or album set it represents.
I’ve noticed that sometimes it takes a little while for everything to load, depending on the size of the album

From my testing, I can get to the view of the albums either through the folder tree view or by clicking through the thumbnails.

That wasn’t the problem. The problem is that you have to click ONLY on the little missing image/no image icon. That’s not really intuitively obvious.

I’m sure this will be covered somewhere, but I’m eager to get 3.1 working. I bailed on using Lightroom Publisher when I upgraded to Version 3 as noGoDaddy misinterprets the file uploads from LR as a DDOS attack which was downright awful. Was only using web publisher so I very much welcome this upgrade.

Thanks Rod and Matt!

It’s all Matt and Ben!

OK, fair enough. But you’re a champ, too!

Yeah, If you click outside of the image or the image icon, you select that album/album set

I’ll take it! :slight_smile:

It looks like the link to the cover image of the album set is broken. I’ve added detection of this in our code so that if an image is set it will only attempt to show the thumbnail if the file exists on disk. Otherwise it will show the placeholder icon that usually appears when no cover image has been set. This fix will be in our next maintenance update.

For now, you can either get the thumbnail to show by visiting the album and designating a cover image, or clear the thumbnail setting by visiting the album and clicking ‘remove’ underneath the broken thumbnail on the sidebar.

In this case, the link was broken, and I didn’t realize it. I had deleted the file earlier in the the week and hadn’t realized it.