Backlight ignores request for "Photo order managed by Lightroom"

I often have trouble getting BL to honour my request for “Photo order managed by Lightroom”.
Yesterday I sorted by star rating in LR, but BL insisted on reversing the order in the final gallery.
I tried tricking it by inverting the order in LR, creating a new collection in LR with ‘custom order’, setting ‘custom order’ in BL, but always got the same erroneous order. Asking for other order schemes worked fine, and I have all the latest updates. Anything I could be doing wrong ?
If there is a problem getting order info from LR, perhaps more order options could be added to BL, for example by star rating ?

I’m seeing the same thing. I found a work around though.

(The Sort: Rating setting in Lightroom seems to only order by rating from 5 to 1. I don’t see a way to sort rating from 1 to 5. So there’s that.)

What I did was to first, in Lightroom, sort by rating. As you know, if you republish at that point, the sorting won’t be reflected in the album on the site.

Now that the images in Lightroom are sorted by rating, move one image. The Sort setting then changes to Custom Order. Move the image back to where it started if you want. Mark one image to republish and then republish the album.

This seems to work whether the album Sort setting is “Managed by Lightroom” or “Custom Order.”

(Note: in case you don’t know, or for others reading this, first check the “Push metadata without updating existing photos” box in the Publisher settings in Lightroom.)

Great workaround. Thanks !
(I can also get LR to rate 1 to 5 by setting Z->A.)

I missed that, hidden as it was right in front of my eyes :wink:

Hi @rod_barbee, that is really interesting that LR is pushing the photo order on republishing. There was a bug in LR that persisted for years whereby the photo order was only pushed from the plugin upon initial publish of the photos and never again. That was the reason for adding the other sort options into the album settings. I had filed a bug report via the beta program and frustratingly that bug report wasn’t even triaged. I had the same experience with other bug reports that were ignored.

I had similar experiences, which is one of the reasons I eventually stopped participating in the program. The same refrain I heard from other participants as well, so it’s not just us they were ignoring.