Backlight server down? having issues adding content

I’m not able to create new Client Response galleries from LRc, nor am I able to consistently use backlight via safari. I keep getting this msg in safari:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Then if I refresh a bunch of times it might finally proceed, or not.

Within LR, I get different error messages, including this one, when I create a new album:

An internal error has occurred.

JSON.lua:197: html passed to JSON:decode():

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

What’s the latest PHP version supported by TTG? Anyone else having an issue today? I do this quite regularly and am stumped. I reinstalled the LR plugin, I updated LRc, I reinstalled backlight 5, all modules updated, optimized my LRc catalog. No change.

Is the problem limited to Client Response albums? Can you publish regular albums?

Good question, Rod. I typically only create CR galleries. I just created a “justified-grid” gallery and it was successful, on the LR end, when safari opened to display the new gallery, it showed an error. After refreshing a few times I was able to load it.

What does this tell us?

Sounds like possibly a server issue, but @Ben would need to comment on that

Have you tried publishing through Backlight Publisher?
That might help narrow things down.

Still getting Internal Server Error when I navigate within Backlight, adding clients etc. I did create an album in Backlight, added 7 of 10 photos then got hung up and didn’t ever finish. Super weird…

Hi @parteephoto, it looks like something is amiss on your server. Does this happen every time for the same action? For example, if you visit /backlight/clients (as in the screenshot) will it keep showing the error no matter how many times you refresh the page?

Internal Server Errors unfortunately don’t provide any detail about what’s causing them. There may be details in a server log. Can you find any files via FTP or in your Control Panel called something like error.log? If you’re looking via FTP, it may be under a subdirectory called logs.

Hi @Ben ,
I think it’s sorted. I found the server error logs on my netfirms hosting website, though the date codes were all wrong, I saw some low memory issues on their end. I called, and they increased them from 64mb to 512mb for the PHP protocol I was using. I dont understand any of this, but thought what meager explanation I could give may help someone else someday.

Thanks for your prompt support!

1 Like

Well @Ben ,

It’s happening again. Internal server error. Maybe it’s my host, Netfirms. I’ll post if there’s a solution found.

Well, my server folks say its not on their end… still getting the dreaded Internal Server Error message, as are my clients now when they try and access the CR galleries…

Any help GREATLY appreciated, @Ben @Matthew @rod_barbee . Let me know what info you need from me.

http://client.joshpartee.com/backlight/admin/login/

1 Like

And @rod_barbee , to answer your question from earlier.

I can sort of publish via Backlight publisher. I have to upload images multiple times, as a few from each batch fail and I have to go back and “add photos” again to upload them. And there’s still plenty of refreshing needed when I get an Internal Server Error (ISE) message.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 6.39.33 PM

Hi @parteephoto, can you share FTP access to your site so that I can try to work out where it’s failing?

The best way to do so is to click on my name and then message from there.

Hi @parteephoto, thanks for the access. I’ve tried to add debugging statements to the Backlight code, to find that the error occurs before Backlight code even runs.

I have uploaded a test file to demonstrate this, at http://client.joshpartee.com/test.php
This does nothing more than display ‘This is a test’. It sometimes works but more often than not produces the dreaded Internal Server Error.

I suggest you provide that link to your host’s support. They need to dig deeper to find out where the server is failing. There may be something in the PHP fpm logs. If I was the admin of the server I would change to the /var/log directory, then after seeing the error, look for any log files that had changed in the previous minute with find . -type f -mmin -1, and then review any files that had changed.

Thanks so much, Ben. Not sure if it was you, but everything was working the next morning. All features. Maybe my host was updating something or doing maintenance… a mystery. I’ll keep your notes here in case it starts happening again. Grateful for the help!

1 Like