BL 5 Logo & menus

Having recently upgraded to BL 5 I’m going through the page setup using Kookaburra to replicate what I already have, so a couple of questions as I can’t seem to see the options.

1. Where can you add a logo to the page, BL 4 had a “Logo Image” but i can’t seem to find the option in BL5?

2. My default menu are all centre aligned in BL 5 , in BL 4 page the menu is “left aligned” on the drop down menus?

1. Look in the Header section. Turn on Display “Header, Primary” and you’ll see additional options in clouding adding a logo image.

2 I don’t see a setting to align menu drop-downs. It might need custom css

1 Like

Hi Rod,

Thanks I’ve got that now, but the company name is still being displayed above the logo, any idea how you remove that?

https://www.tsiphotography.co.uk/galleries/kook/

Also the menu behaviour is really odd, under galleries I can’t see the sub galleries?

I.E Galleries, Portraits, 2021, 2022, 2023 are not showing?

I don’t believe Kookaburra drop down menus go more than one level deep.

As to the Title/logo issue, look at the Running Head section under Title

Hi Rod,

Hopefully that will change seems off that we have taken a step backwards.

Yes I’ve looked there it’s blank, it also says “If blank, will use the Title from the Header section, below.” which then says “If blank, COMPANY_NAME will be used.”, so it looks like the only way to remove it is then to goto “Admin settings” and remove the company name which seems a bit silly?

There is also a drop down to choose visibility. You can have the title appear always, above or below the breakpoint, or never

Keep in mind that Kookaburra is also a work-in-progress. So, as you work through it, if you have specific feedback regarding how features work, or what features you find missing that are important to you, I want to hear those things.

In its present state, I think Kookaburra is fully able to produce a complete website. However, it is not yet at feature parity with Pangolin. It can also do some things that Pangolin does not, though, some highlights that come quickly to mind being:

• the new essay enhancements
  • blurring the lines between pages, albums and sets (which, for example, underpins the “essay anywhere” stuff)
  • keyboard accessibility
  • better performance

Better performance primarily being measured using Lighthouse scores. Pangolin wasn’t bad at all, but Kookaburra beats it, which is good for general usage, but also for search rankings.

Anyway, I hope that helps to clarify what Kookaburra is about, and where it’s going. Constructive feedback is always welcome, so please let me know what you hope to see.

FWIW, here’s a decent overview for web accessibility:

I don’t know that Kookaburra will be perfect in these regards, but I am making what efforts I can to align with standards and regulations. Both for the sake of users who may be visiting your site, but also to future-proof Backlight-made sites from overzealous lawyers who may be trolling the Internet for low-hanging fruit to file lawsuits.

Will you at some time publish a tutorial on using Kookaburra?
I am new to Backlight 5 and it’s taken me a while to get to grips with it,especially things like the Masthead through trial and error with a lot more of the latter! When I looked at the Kookaburra options I became even more confused even with the short explanations showing their purpose

Yes, but I need to learn some Final Cut Pro basics first. My video editing suite has stopped working for whatever reason, and I need to start over again. Was using Camtasia previously, and given the experience I’ve had with it recently, I’m jumping ship.