Can BL remove WM on paid downloads?

Both albums seem to be working now. The only thing I did was reset the cart. Check on your end to see how things are looking

I am still getting the original problem. I can’t seem to purchase and have the watermark disappear. The Paypal sandbox credentials are:

I used the credentials you sent to purchase. I’m seeing the Watermarks too.

Let me create a test album on my own test site to see if I can duplicate the problem

You might be right about the caching. When I download them in the orders module, I’m not seeing the WM. Double-checking. Thanks.

So it look like the manual uploads is working as expected. That’s good. That means I can go live. However, I would love it if BL would remove the watermarks. I am going to change the source - download to test if BL will remove it from the purchased products. Will update you in a few…

What is the diffirence in use photo renditions and create custom rendition via publisher?

Those manual uploads are not for the Cart’s download-for-purchase. Those are for the standard downloads, available to anyone.
The option to have watermarks removed from images for purchase does not apply in this case.

I just ran a test, and everything is working as expected for me. The renditions created for purchase do not have watermarks.

So I can’t do what I’m trying to do. Display watermarked photos and sell them without the watermark?

I had disabled the WM in LR. I’ve just reenabled them.

You can. It should be working if you’ve configured your album template to create digital downloads for purchase in the Cart Add-on section AND you have checked “Exclude watermarks in photos-for-purchase” in the Features tab of the album.

You can also manually upload photos for purchase. See the documentation:

I’ve verified that I’m meeting the conditions for Digital Purchases. However, I am still getting watermarked photos even after I’ve paid for them. I’m switching to manual uploads so that I can control the WM. Thanks for your help. Going live…

Hi @Frank, I’ve found the cause of this.

The short explanation:

The Backlight setting ‘Publish Master Renditions from Lightroom’ was set to Yes. This causes the setting withing LR for the photos-for-purchase watermarking to be ignored. I have changed this to No.

The longer explanation:

When the above is set to Yes, a single ‘master’ rendition is sent from the LR Publisher to Backlight. Resizing is then done on your server. If that master rendition from LR includes a watermark, then that will exist in any other renditions created (thumbnails, photos, photos-for-download and photos-for-purchase).

There are two ways of applying watermarks to specific renditions:

1. Leave (or set) the ‘Publish Master Renditions from Lightroom’ to No, and configure the watermarks via the Features tab in LR when editing albums.

2. Set ‘Publish Master Renditions from Lightroom’ to Yes, and then control the handling of watermarks via Designer. In this case, watermarks are enabled via a ‘Configure Watermarks’ setting in the Image Renditions section. Per-rendition watermarking is then set in the renditions settings. For photos-for-purchase, there is an additional ‘Apply watermark for publishing in Backlight Admin’ setting that is revealed when configuring photos-for-purchase in the add-ons section.

The benefit of using the master renditions is that publishing from LR can be much faster. However you lose the benefit of having fine-grained control of the watermarks that LR can control. Secondarily, LR may produce higher quality renditions than Backlight can.

From your settings, it looks like you were intending to use the first option. Setting a watermark in LR in this way means that the setting for applying watermarks for photos-for-purchase in LR is essentially ignored by virtue of the fact that LR doesn’t even generate that rendition.

This should now work properly for you, assuming that the first approach was the one you’re after.

1 Like

Apologies, Ben for the delay in replying. It’s odd that I tried every download source except the disable option. Once I chose that option it worked like a charm.

Now all that’s left is to get out and shoot more events so that I can pay for some of the stuff I purchased for the event I’d stressed about. Thanks again.