Can I use HTML markup in Captions - Tokens?

Can I add HTML link code in “Photo Presentation - Captions - Tokens”? If so, can you please provide an example of the code? Thank you!

You can’t add html to your captions.

Thanks! I’ll put it in my wish list for Christmas.

Probably not going to happen. Too problematic with Lightroom’s metadata, and with all of the different presentation libraries at play in album, theater and galleria modules.

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

FWIW, I wanted to be able to add links to some of the individual photos as my “call to action” i.e. “more info”, “buy this”, etc. Same sort of principal used in Pinterest.

Would have liked to have optionally add the link code in the meta data. I’ve seen a few plug in developers come up with their own custom meta fields within LR.

If you or anyone else following this thread have any suggestions on how to implement a call to action from an individual photo to a specific external web page with some “call to action” text, please let me know. My photos are about location - see it, read more about it, find it on the map, etc.

Thanks for listening!

Perry J.

Perry, if you use single page view, you can do such things. Here is an example: https://danielleu.com/galleries/united_states/yosemite/Yosemite_DL_20121104_DSC1316-single.php.

But it means customizations using phplugins. I have some pointers in following blog post https://lab.danielleu.com/blog/customizing-single-page-view/

If you’e only using single images for this and don’t need to use an album, you can always just use html in page copy.
Use the figure element with img and figcaption

Thank you! I’m not exactly sure I follow what you are saying, Rod, but I have a need to associate specific link code with specific images when a visitor is looking through a gallery of images, one by one. Ideally, the link code would be generated from metadata for that image. Again, much like Pinterest.

Thanks again!! Hope I’m being clear.

Sorry about that. I used some html tags and forgot that they’d be interpreted literally.

What you want to do with an album is not possible with the albums as is.

You could do something like Daniel suggested, using the Single Image presentation. But it would require digging into phplugins. Daniel has provided and example and a link to a post that shows how to access metadata fields and display the contents below the image.

How many images are you talking about? If it’s only a few, you could just use html to create a grid of images that have information below them and are each linked to a specific page, much like the three images shown at the bottom of this page, below the home page gallery, which uses figure, img, and figcaption tags with the img tag wrapped in an anchor tag:
https://backlight-2-100.barbeephoto.com/

Thanks, Rod. Each photo has the potential of landing on a page that talks all about the image and it’s location.

Ideally, I would have use the “location” meta field for the link and/or just a text description of the location.

i.e. “tap for more info”

I’d look into Daniel’s solution then.

Was wishing again for this today – html markup in the caption. Maybe this could be done in Publisher?

I am making an effort to ensure that HTML will not break captions in Kookaburra. Whether the inputs will accept HTML, I don’t know; I can’t remember how or whether we’re transforming things to protect special characters, etc. You can try it.

My statement above continues to stand for Pangolin.

Finally go around to trying to insert HTML into a “Caption” i.e.

<a href="https://www.blahblah.com/blah-blah.htm">Pink Sand Beach</a>.

Once published, it does not translate to a working link.

I want to make a case for why I think it’s important to be able to include a link in some of my captions: I know the volume of people looking at the images in my gallery. Those photos that get a lot of link juice are candidates for links to other specific pages that ultimately lead to conversion and site-of-authority status.

FWIW, I am only interested in being able to insert link code in “caption”, as in the example, and have it convert to a working link. Perhaps adding some token to the code so the engine knows it is link code?

Many thanks for your time and consideration! Love your work. ~ Perry J.

This is also something I’ve asked about and wished for since I moved to Backlight way back in version 1 for exactly the reason LifeIsABeach mentioned. I would pay cash money for such an option. :slight_smile:

I can only repeat what I said above for the parts of the code that I am responsible for, which is the client-facing pages and gallery presentation scripts. @Ben may be able to expand on whether our data model can support HTML in metadata fields, or reasons that it cannot.

Our approach isn’t consistent on this. HTML is replaced with HTML entities in metadata fields when publishing from Lightroom, however editing the metadata within Backlight does allow HTML in these fields.

An example of this replacement within Lightroom is:

This is <b>bold</b> text being saved as This is &lt;b&gt;bold&lt;/b&gt; text.

This is then displayed literally as This is <b>bold</b> text instead of as “This is bold text”

Very cool. I had no idea we could do this. Works great too.
Just added a <br/> and a link in the Photo Caption in Backlight (not Metadata One or Metadata Two - that will break the metadata fields). Now the caption in the large image has a line break and a working link!

2 Likes

Can you edit the “photo caption” for an image in Backlight publisher that was previously uploaded via Lightroom? If so, where is this function?

I believe you can. Try this:
From Backlight Publisher, click on the album name.
Click on a picture
in the upper right, click on the image icon.
Change what you need to change and click Save

1 Like