Changes to pages and templates not saving

After upgrading to 5, I’ve been experimenting with a live page and a Kookaburra template. I make changes/updates to the template, but after clicking save they usually don’t take effect. They do sometimes but not often. I then went back to the page design and switched it back to my old Pangolin template, but even that change won’t stick. Here are a few screenshots:
Kookaburra template is 2024 Test Page

Change it to the old Pangolin template and save (yes, I’m clicking save, like three or four times repeatedly):

I go back to pages, and it still shows 2024 Test Page as the Page Template. What am I doing wrong?
I know some changes take effect, because the page looks different. Here is a page based on the old Pangolin template: Resources - Dave Chew Photography
Here is the page I’ve been testing: Schneider Kreuznach Datasheets - Dave Chew Photography

My php version was 5.6 so I updated it to 8.1, but that did not make a difference.

Sorry for the high maintenance…
Dave

Try going to the Special Links page and clicking on “Clear template cache” as well as browser cache.
Also try checking in a different browser

I’ve been doing those things. I think for some reason Godaddy is just really slow to update. If I make a change, purge the cache and clear the browser, I won’t see the effect for several minutes, sometimes and hour. I was using Chrome, and I will say Safari seems better at this. Maybe I wasn’t really clearing Chrome’s cache when I thought I was.

Anyway, everything works, I just can’t see immediate feedback. That’s a struggle because I’m not familiar with all the options in Design like Padding vs Borders. Is there a document someplace that covers simple stuff like that?

Dave

Some settings (like padding and borders) are named for the actual css properties.
A good reference for those is CSS Tutorial

Hi @dchew, have you enabled a cloud pr web caching service through GoDaddy? Something like Cloudflare?

That can interfere with updates becoming visible in a timely manner.

Hi @Ben , not that I know of, but I will check. It wouldn’t be the first time I had some service enabled I didn’t realize.

Dave

there is some sort of basic caching service, but I think it is standard. I reduced it to minimal caching.

I did a simple experiment with a border on the home page album template and got this error:

Weird since all I did was add a black 1px border, then try to remove it. I wonder if after some time it will take effect.

Dave

And… Yes, it did take effect. I think my site just has some weird delay that does not communicate with the files in the backlight folders. I make a change, the change saves, then clear cache, go right back into the template and it does not show that I made the change. Then after several minutes it does show the change.

Dave

Hi @dchew, I think that error may be unrelated to the delays you’re seeing.

Your domain points to an IP address belonging to Cloudproxy, so it looks like that service has been setup via GoDaddy.

Yeah I guess so. I’m not sure what all this means. I did find my way into the cache settings and disabled it at least for now while I make all these changes. That seems to help a lot.

Thank you, Rod and Ben.

Dave