Delete Inbox messages and contact form success message

Hi,

1. Is there a way to delete all messages stored in Admin > Contacts > Inbox? I have no need to store the old messages and I see no “delete all” option. I’m happy to use FileZilla to access the folder in which the messages are stored.

2. I just switched from reCaptcha v2 to v3. I am looking for where to change the message that users see to let them know their message was sent successfully. I must have found it at some point in the past, but I sure can’t find it now.

Thanks for any help.

John

To change the contact form success message go to Admin > Settings > Languages and click on Manage Language.
Look under the Contact Forms section

Not directly in Backlight, just the one-at-a-time method. But you could access the database and delete the entries there.
From your main Backlight dashboard under Special Links, click on phpLiteAdmin. The password is “admin”
Click on the Admin – Master database and then on the contact table. You can delete the entries all at once there.

Before you do this for the first time, it’s probably a good idea to download a copy of your backlight/data/ folder, just in case something goes haywire.
(it’s also a good idea to back up that folder regularly anyway)

Hi Rod,

As always, thank you for the quick reply and the help.

I found the Languages page and the appropriate section.

As for the “delete all messages” question, I found the contact table as you described. When I click “Check All” at the bottom of the page, nothing happens. I can check individual messages and delete them, but no luck with “Check All.” Also, “Uncheck All” doesn’t work either–tested by selecting a few messages. I am using Chrome, but I doubt that is the problem. Any thoughts?

John

Just tested it and “Check All” doesn’t work for me either.
But checking them all individually and deleting all at once still takes less time than deleting individually.

In looking at the phpLiteAdmin website, I see that there is a newer version than the one BL is using. The current BL version is 1.9.6, and the newer version is 1.9.8.2. Is it possible for a BL user to install this newer version? It might fix the “Check All” not working issue.

I doubt it, but @Ben will need to answer that.

Re: Replacing reCaptcha v2 with v3, it’s important to note that v3 is not a replacement or upgrade for v2. They behave differently, and in some scenarios one might be more appropriate than the other.

Matt,

Thanks for your comments.

I understand the difference between v2 and v3. With v2, I’ve been getting several spam message a day. V3 is catching the spam so they don’t show up in my email inbox, so that’s good. However, those spam messages are accumulating in my Quick Links > View Contacts page. I was hoping the admin page would allow me to Check All and then delete all the spam at once since the View Contacts page does not have that option. The Check All button does not work on the admin page.

For now, I am changing the Backlight setting on Settings > Contact Forms Spam Protection > Google reCAPTCHA v3 Spam handling to “show success message but do not save message.” That way, I won’t have to see the spam on the View Contacts page or receive them via email. Of course, I run the risk of missing a legitimate message that is mistakenly tagged as spam.

John

Hi @John_Blaustein, the phpliteadmin page on Backlight is heavily modified to be compatible with the Backlight admin page and to fix issues that affect different versions of PHP. For that reason I don’t update it regularly to the latest version. It’s also not possible to drop in the latest version unmodified.

I’ve found the issue with the check-all function and put in a fix… This was related to the integration into the Backlight admin interface. To apply the fix, visit the Backlight Modules page and click Reinstall for the entry for module-admin then confirm by clicking the Reinstall button.

phpLiteAdmin is only recommended for fixing things, and not for day-to-day use. Running the wrong queries can damage your site.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Thank you! The “Check All” function now works. It’s nice to be able to clean up old spam messages which have been accumulating quickly lately. I wouldn’t think of touching any setting in phpLiteAdmin without knowing what it does–or any other setting for that matter.

Regards,

John