Google Authenticator

I have rebuilt my website and am trying to set up the authentication again.

The app is installed on my iPhone and 2 FA is selected on the Backlight configuration. When I log in to BL admin 9 (using the password) I see the screen requesting the authentication code, which I do not yet have. I then click on the request to send an email.

I have run into 2 different situations.

Sometimes (but not always) I receive the Google email, scan it on my iPhone and proceed per the instructions, but i receive an error message. I have seen reference to logging out of BL admin before attempting to use the authentication code that appears on the iPhone. When I do that I encounter the same problem.

On most occasions when I select the request to send the code, I do not receive anything.

I have successfully configured the authentication previously, but I am apparently not following the correct procedure.

On one occasion, out of frustration, I reinstalled Backlight (successfully) to dodge the problem.

I would appreciate advice - something along the lines of 2 FA for Dummies! Thanks!

Barry

Hi Barry, that sounds frustrating. What error message have you been receiving?

If the only remaining issue is not receiving the email, then the code that is emailed can be found in your server logs. To find this, access your site via FTP and navigate to the folder /backlight/data/admin/logs.

The most-recent log file there will have entries like this:

[12-Aug-2022 22:59:49] TRACE: Your Two-factor Authentication Key: QJAZ4XBCETTAAAAA.

The last of those entries (if there are multiple entries) will be the code to use in the Authenticator app.

Hi Ben,

Yes - a little frustrating, especially since I usually do not stumble into relatively minor problems - only major ones!! Thanks so much for replying so quickly. That method succeeded!

I do wonder why I did not receive an email message, but going in “the back door” solves the problem.

I have other questions concerning revising the wording used on the Contact page (i.e. - the application of the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to the site) which is not appropriate for my site. I will start a separate topic for that purpose.

Thanks again,

Barry

Thanks again,

Barry