Help needed updating CE4 to BL4 and moving from a subdomain

I’ve finally got my new BL4 site the way I want it, and it seems to work in my subdomain (http://www.doricportraits.com) and now I want to overwrite my old CE4 site (at http://www.fourwallsphoto.com) with this new one, but I want to keep my old galleries and shopping cart setup.

What is the best way for me to move my prototype site to its new place on my primary domain? The old CE4 site used WP themes which I am not planning to keep.

I naively hope I can just drag and drop all the files from the new site to old, but without touching the existing /galleries and /ttg-be folder, and then run some upgrade script from the backlight pages to modernize the cart and the galleries. I just wasn’t sure if all the new templates and styles I had created on the new backlight site would transfer, and whether the internal links between pages will still work when moving between domains.

Any help appreciated.

See if this helps

Backlight has links that will transfer CE4 Publisher albums to Backlight control and transfer CE4 Cart settings to Backlight

That’s perfect Rod! I thought I had seen something like this a while ago, but couldn’t find it again, so thanks for the link!

I notice that my old site has the publisher api in LR pointing to ttg-be/publisher/
whereas my new new BL4 site is pointing to backlight/publisher/

Does this make a difference?

Yes. You’ll need to change the API url in Lightroom

Sorry to bother you again Rod, but the links to all 3 migration tools seem to be broken on your webpage “Converting a Publisher-based CE4 site to Backlight - TTG Tips and Tricks”. I presume these were just pointing to sections in Matt’s manual?

The links are in Backlight
To migrate albums, go to the Special Links page (Backlight > Admin > Special Links)
To migrate Cart settings, click on Cart in Backlight, you’ll see the link on the resulting page.

1 Like

I’m finally up and running on BL4 and it feels good. The missing uploaded images were a challenge, particularly since the actual locations are hidden, but simply uploading the same files to the same place solved the problem (the biggest challenge was finding the originals again).

Thanks for all your support, Rod.

Welcome to Backlight 4, Jim. Hope you’ll enjoy the new experience!

As a reference for others, if you go to Backlight > Designer > Templates > Uploaded Images you can see all the uploaded images. Click on an image link and then you see the image type, dimensions and URL listed.

Well, that’s only half the story Daniel. After moving my site from a development subdomain to its final location, none of the uploaded images would work any more. I had about a dozen of them including logos, one-off photos for specific pages, favicon, etc. The URL for the images also did not point to any actual meaningful location. For example my photo on my about-me page appears to point to http://www.fourwallsphoto.com/backlight/designer/page/image/4 but that directory doesn’t even exist. By going to the edit page for the image and re-uploading the same file again, the problem of the missing embedded image is solved, although the associated link is still bogus! (the backlight/designer folder isn’t there or is invisible). Rod actually mentions this problem of missing images in his write-up mentioned earlier.

With Backlight, many directory paths are virtual. So there is no matching directory. All this happens through the magic inside the .htaccess file.

Ahh, good to know. It sure would have saved a lot of frustration if that had been documented somewhere! I could not understand why my images were uploaded and apparently intact, but were not resolvable on any of my pages. I hope anybody else who has this issue can find this info to help them resolve.

By and large it is not necessary knowledge. Links are virtual when Backlight determines that the web server is set up correctly. When not, they will fall back to parameterised links. In this case, the fallback link would have been http://www.fourwallsphoto.com/backlight/?m=designer&c=page&a=image&p1=4

Ahh, thank you @Ben Ben. I did not realize these links were virtual, so when my uploaded pictures initially did not show in my new transferred site, I just assumed BL was referencing files that didn’t exist.