Installing BL 4: Dashboard doesn't look format correct

I have my old site still running, so installed backlight in /backlight.

Home page looks correct and is found at Home - Reid J. Thaler Photography

Trying to access dashboard at Backlight but looks like like some unformatted list, which I can post a screen shot of.

Not sure if I should be trying to access via local host, but tried different variations (localhost/backlight, localhost/backlight/backlight) but get 404

Trying to get with the program after resisting for 6 years. Struggling. I’m not a programmer.

(Just tried to send this post and get an error saying I can’t embed media items in a post, so why is the option available…)

Help please.

Reid

It looks like you installed your site in a folder named “backlight”
If you’re creating a test site, then use a different name, like “test”

Otherwise, the backlight/ folder from your unzipped download goes directly in the root of your site, not inside a folder named “backlight” (Backlight looks for its resources in the backlight/ folder so putting your site in a folder named “backlight” confuses things)

You should be able to post screenshots now. I updated your user status to basic user from new user

Ok, I got this running by going Home - Reid J. Thaler Photography

Localhost didn’t work.

When I want to migrate my test site, what do I need to do since the links will point to the /bt folder and not the root folder?

Is there a link to show the additional features is BL 5 (vs BL 4?)

Thanks,

Reid

Mainly change the Site URL in Settings.

and a bit more on migrating a test site
Moving your development site to your production site - TTG Tips and Tricks

Take a look at blog posts starting here
https://blog.theturninggate.net/2022/08/10/backlight-5-is-now-available/

Thanks. I think the last thing is the Publisher. I have a plug in for Lightroom that I’ve installed, but need the publisher to upload to the test site via FTP.

I also have the Client Response add in but get a 404 when I go to http://backlight.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=client_response_add-on_install
for install instructions.

And the biggest reason I’m upgrading is the spam I’m hit with on the old Form to Email. I see that there is reCaptcha in the Contracts page. It that reCaptcha 3? How does it work to prevent spam if no human confirmation is required?

Thanks,

use this link for info on CR

Install it from your Backlight Modules page.

Publisher does not upload the site. Do you mean uploading your albums?
Be sure you’re using the latest Publisher plug-in. Download it from Backlight Modules page. It’s at the top.

See if the docs answer your question

Google magic.

Thanks all for your support and help. I’ll take a look at some sample galleries, but was still happy with the look and feel of my current site, even after all these years. What’s currently it style regarding site design?

Looking forward to digging in an driving a stake through the heart of the spam I’m getting hourly.

Reid