Kookaburra Roadmap Question

Hi Matthew,

looking at the current Kookaburra Roadmap, I’m wondering if there will be a Wordpress Theme Add-on…

It would be great if you could share your thoughts about this (for me extremely important) Add-on

Thy and Happy New Year
Sven M

There are currently no plans, and it’s far lower priority than what’s currently on the roadmap, and there are several reasons for that.

I haven’t had much to do with WordPress in quite some time, and so I personally have a lot of catching up to do if I’m going to work in that direction.

Sales for the WordPress add-on are pretty meager compared to the rest of Backlight, and so it’s pretty low-priority in general. Time spent on it is time that I am not spending in service of the majority of our user base.

Now that we have the Essay functionality, I think that does much to cover the writing needs of our audience, where WordPress is maybe overkill for a lot of people.

Finally, coding the go-betweens for Backlight and WordPress is super difficult and super weird. Like, it’s just a really odd thing to do, and an annoying thing to test, and it’s just not a fun development experience. At all.

So I’m leaning toward not wanting to get into it, and mostly thinking it’s not a good use of my time. But when literally everything else is done, if I have the motivation to do it, I’m not saying it will never happen … I just wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it.