LR images and thumbnails too small in Kookaburra

I’m using the Kookaburra slideshow, and uploading images from LR. They’re very large images in LR (4k x 3k and 300 resolution) in Kookaburra the thumbnails are minuscule in the Publisher (probably 2 or 3 pixels square) and the slideshow images are a decent size but distorted, probably because they’re so tiny. How do I fix it?

can you share a link?

Check out the resolution of these pictures.

Here’s a screenshot of the thumbnails page. Note that one of them looks OK, the others are all very small.

Try changing the thumbnail rendition size in the album template and republishing.

Your using 66px x 78px thumbnails

The large photo renditions are set for 441x384 and their being stretched to fill the space allotted for the slide show. Try increasing the Photos rendition size and republishing.

I tried increasing the thumbnails to 125 by 125 and the Photos by 1k by 2k but when I try to publish I get the error message, “The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini” so, how do I determine what size to use?

you can edit your php.ini file and increase the limit.

The file is usually found in the root of your site. Download it via FTP and edit it with a plain text or code editor.

Look for “upload_max_filesize” I have mine set to 64M and have never had that error pop up.

If that file is not visible in the root of your site, you may be able to change the limit in your CPanel. Or you might need to contact your host.

It wasn’t about changing the limit on the php file - I wanted to know what was a usable size so I just experimented with trial and error and ended up with roughly 1500 by 900 which works and looks good.

The problem is the photos are all different sizes - some from cell phones, some from a Nikon camera so it’s not possible to calculate the exact width and height to use with decent resolution (for me anyway). It seems like a rather random way to go about it. I was really asking what is the optimum average width and height for most desktop and laptop purposes.

That depends on how large you want the images to be viewed at. Looks like you found a size that works for you.
By changing the max upload size you don’t need to worry as much about if they’ll upload. And you could include larger, downloadable images if you ever need them.

Got it. Thanks Rod.

Pay attention also to the export quality of your images. This analysis by Jeffrey Friedl is absolute gold.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

In his article, notice how file size begins to balloon quickly from a value of 77 onward. Personally, I like to keep my exported images in the 62-69 tier, or the 70-76 tier. Beyond that, the file size to visual fidelity tradeoff isn’t worth it.

Choosing the right export quality can help you stay under the PHP upload limit for file size, even for large-dimension images.