Menu and submenu widths

Hello. Backlight 3 is great. I have two questions regarding the width of horizontal menus and submenus:

(1) Is there a way to increase the amount of horizontal space between menu items in a top pallet horizontal menu? Equivalently, is there way to increase the width of the entire horizontal top pallet menu?

(2) Is there a way to increase the width of submenus? Some of my submenu names do not fit within the default width of a dropdown menu.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

All of that can be done with custom css.
I think I wrote something in the old forum about controlling the width of the sub menus. I’ll try to find it.

This will only affect the Horizontal menu
Here is what I’m using on one of my sites to change the sub-menu width:

.nav.nav_h ul.primary-menu ul.sub-menu {
		width: 300px;
}

that will affect all sub-menus you may have.

If you only want to target a specific menu, use a -child psuedo selector:

.nav.nav_h ul.primary-menu li:nth-child(2) ul.sub-menu  {
		width: 550px;
	}

see this site for an example. The Workshops and Tours sub-menu is wider to accommodate the longest title.

To increase the space between menu items, adjust the left and/or right padding using the nav.nav_h li selector.
This will add left and right padding to each menu item:

nav.nav_h li {

padding-left: 12px;
		padding-right: 12px;
	}

I would take a different approach, and instead take a hard look at your titles. Menus should be concise, and easy to parse. If you have too many menu items, or if your titles are overflowing the allotted space, then I think you should take that as an opportunity to tighten things up.

Personally, when I feel overwhelmed by a site’s navigation, my first instinct is to click nothing, and leave.

1 Like

Rod,

Thanks so much for all three of your replies. This is all really very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Best,
Walter

Matt,

That is a very good suggestion. I hit upon a way to shorten the titles so they fit. (Still, I’m glad to know Rod’s technical solution, in case I need that down the road.)

Best,
Walter