Old Google analytics is going away next year; Google says migrate

After months of gentle suggestions, Google has started sending emails about a sunset date for their old analytics (Oct 2023 I think). I don’t care much about this but don’t want to end up left out of searches because something obsolete is on my site.

I clicked on the link to connect my old web property ID to the new analytics and the next day got some email that said I had to put a file in the header of my web pages for this new scheme to work.

An old post in the forum (from 2020) said that you need to use php plugins to do that. If this new scheme is going to be Google’s main analytics tool shortly, can we have something in the Backlight UI that lets us put the script in without having to do custom php?

This is the script Google is after:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-Z09VL47W6Z"></script>
<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'G-Z09VL47W6Z');
</script>

I’ve been using this new format with phplugins for a while. If you want to try it, please let me know.

I’m certain that @Matthew will move to this format way before the current scheme expires in 18 months.

I have also seen the emails, and it’s on my radar. Thanks.

Should I add the above file to my php file?

I suggest not doing anything until we introduce proper support.

4 Likes

Any notes on when the new Google analytics code will be implemented in Backlight?

Thanks!

Support for GA4 came out last week with Backlight 5.0.3: Update: Backlight 5.0.3 – The Turning Gate

@LifeIsABeach Did you not receive the newsletter titled “New! Google Analytics 4 Support in Backlight 5”?

My bad! Thanks for pointing that out. I had mail going into the wrong folder and missed it. I see it now.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi, will the new Google Analytics be supported in BL4? I’m in the middle of a big sale, and I don’t want to risk updating now, but the deadline is March 2023 (next month) “On July 1, 2023, this property will stop processing data. Starting in March 2023, for continued website measurement, you should create a new Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property, or one will be created for you based on your original property and reusing existing site tags.”

1 Like

We’ve already addressed this.

https://blog.theturninggate.net/2022/10/09/update-backlight-5-0-3/

So, if (big if) I understand that correctly, I need to upgrade to BL5 for GA support beyond March 2023? My BL4 site uses Galleria and Theater add-ons - my understanding is these are going away with BL5/Kookoburra…

The Pangolin based templates and add-ons don’t go away in BL 5. Theater and Galleria are still there.
Updating your BL4 site to BL5 won’t change what visitors see on your site.

Kookaburra is a new template option and it does not support Theater or Galleria. But you don’t need to use the Kookaburra templates.

You do need to update to use the new Google Analytics

1 Like

That’s everything I needed to know! Thanks. BL5 here I come…

I’ve updated to BL5. Is there anything I need to do to stay abreast of the changes to Google Analytics? Verbiage on my analytics page seems to suggest the transition will be made for me on July 1st, but I cant believe it will be seamless.

What have others done?

Backlight 5 includes support for the newer Google Analytics 4, but you do need to set it up. There are instructions in Backlight’s settings, but we also blogged out this update specifically, here.

1 Like