Permalinks for individual images

Just when I think I’m getting the hang of things, I find myself lost again :slight_smile:

I have individual images with URLs that include their gallery slug but the image is identified only by its numerical position, such as

https://www.digitalbristles.com/galleries/ocean-park-maine/#gallery-16

I know there was a setting somewhere for permalinks which I now can’t find. What I wanted to see if I could do was have a permalink not dependent on position within the gallery. Something like:

https://www.digitalbristles.com/galleries/ocean-park-maine/OP-Boardwalk-up-horiz

The example uses the file name, but I’m not concerned about the specifics.

Is this possible? And if so, where do I find the UI to set it?

Thanks

The permalink is already included.
In the album, click on the thumbnail to open the large image.
In the slideshow view, click on the image icon on the right.

You’ll see a vertical tool bar. Click on the chain icon to go to the permalink page.

Many thanks!

For further explanation, the JavaScript slideshow operates on the image’s position within its data set. Backlight provides the permalink to a static page for each image. You can skip the JS slideshow by settings the album template to use the HTML pages for images, though I personally dislike this; the JS slideshow is a really nice way to move through the images.

The permalinks are also what gets used when sharing your image to social media via the share buttons.

Thank you for the additional explanation.

I agree with you that the slideshow is an excellent way to allow site visitors to browse. It was when I put text into the contact form asking those with a question about a specific image to identify it, that I realized I needed a permalink to avoid ambiguity.

I’ve added text to explain how to get a permalink, which I think will work just fine for my purposes

There are some other ways for you to discover permalinks for your own usage. These work in Pangolin Album, but I’m not sure about presentation types:

• Right-click the thumbnail and choose ‘copy link’
  • Ctrl/Cmd-click the thumbnail to open up the permalink in a new tab then copy the link from the address bar
  • Right-click the thumbnail and choose ‘open link in new tab’ then copy the link from the address bar
2 Likes