Photos-to-download

Most of my shoot packages I allow the client access to the high res files as part of their shoot cost.

Within each of the galleries Publisher creates a folder called “photos-to-download”, i like to leave their gallery online but delete the high res files after a period of time to save on hosting costs etc. This means i have to manually go into each folder\gallery created and delete the “photos-to-download” which takes ages and you have to remember which galleries still have that folder, Weddings, Portraits etc etc.

So the question is, is there a quicker way? It would be nice to have a “highres” folder within the “Galleries” folder and then I could view that folder and delete from there?

I’m open to any other suggestions?

give this a go and see if it works. It probably doesn’t address the server storage issue but it should remove access to the hi-res versions:

Clone your current album template.
in the cloned template, disable the photo download feature.
assign the cloned template to an album where you wish to remove hi-res downloads.

This probably doesn’t delete the hi-res images, but it should remove the download icon in the album.

And if I remember correctly, there’s a file in the photos-for-download folder that prevents direct access to that folder.

Hi Rod,

I had already tried that, it doesn’t remove the high res files from the server and is just as time consuming as what I’m doing now im afraid.

I’m still looking for a solution to this, in CE4 we could define where the download folder was stored which was easy to maintain, as you could just easily manage and delete the folders containing the high res files etc.

I’t becoming a RIGHT pain to remember which galleries still have the high res files, anyone got any bright ideas???

In Backlight you can designate the name for the manually uploaded files. I think it works the same as it did in CE4: You enter the name in the template and then you create a folder of the same name in the individual album’s folder structure.
If you’re using Publisher to create the hi-res downloads, the folder is created automatically.

I still have some old test CE4 albums, and the hi-res folder is stored inside the respective album folder. I don’t think Lightroom is capable of uploading to a location other than the album it’s updating at the time.

The best solution for you that I can think of is to create a spreadsheet or have a white board that lists all the albums that will require having those hi-res folders deleted.