Possible to sell different resolutions with digital purchases?

Hi there,

I am wondering if it is possible to offer one digital image for purchase in different resolutions?
E.g.:
800x600 = price 1
2000x3000 = price 2

Thanks,
Elmar

Yes, see this:

Thanks for reminding me to your article. This works fine but is some kind of extra work when you are dealing with hundreds of files as we are.
So my suggestion would be to implement something like a “run skript after uploading”. This way one could specify something like:

• after upload with lr is done run the script XY.sh
  • XY.sh runs: mkdir web-res-photo; for i in find -name *.JPG; do convert $I -resize 1080x1080; done

This way you would have any freedom to do whatever you want and I think implementing this on BL side should not be a bunch of work.

So, may the developers think about this topic and implement this in on of the next versions. That would be really great.

Thanks and cheers
Elmar

Well, a workaround could be to program your own “watchdog” for the photo folders. Whenever a modification is being recognized, those dirs with different photo resolutions would be created. This for sure is no rocket science but the problem is, that it would always run on each album, even on albums where different resolutios would not be needed.
Of course, one could say this will only be done in album-set with the name XY but I think specifying a short “run after upload” would be much more intuitive.
Furthermore one could consider sharing those scripts here in the community for others that are not that familiar with python, bash, etc.

So, please have one or two thoughts about that topic. Maybe you considers such a function as useful as I do.

Cheers
Elmar

Realistically, I doubt this automation is going to happen in Backlight; it’s not a feature request that’s been brought up before. (this is just my own informed guess from being a long time user, tester, and forum moderator).
Could be there’s someone in the community who’s up for the scripting challenge though :slightly_smiling_face:

You may also be able to find some Photoshop scripts that will do what you want. you could then export from Lightroom and call the script in the Post-Processing section of the export preset.

But if you need this functionality now, you’re best off creating Export presets in Lightroom and manually uploading the images.

Thanks for you response. Well, I all depends on what you are doing with backlight. We, e.g. are photographing Kindergartens. Every Child gets its own Album. There are round about 100 Albums for each Kindergarten.

If you use Backlight extensively as we do using photoshop automations or lr double exports is a no go.

My sktipt on the server is done and works well. All I need is an option in BL to call this skript after uploading with publisher.

That would be a topic for @Ben to discuss

This might work as a workaround:

1. In Lr Publisher, you can select to open the album once the publisher is done. Select this.
  2. Update your album template with some phplugins magic:
function album_top(){
	if (is_admin()) {
		// add code for button/link to call custom script
	}
	return true;
}

Now once the Lr export is complete, your browser opens the target album. If you’re logged in as admin, your custom button/link is visible to launch your script. You could even further automate this to always launch the script if you’re opening an album as an admin. In the script, add some tests to only execute the image scaling if a new image exists.
I didn’t test this, but I think that this should work.

1 Like

OK - this may be a good approach. I will have a look if this works out for me in my workflow.

Thanks!!

The “Backlight way” of managing this would be for us to add rendition options to the Cart’s products page for virtual copies. Renditions could then be generated during export from LR or import via Backlight’s Add Photos function.

Not sure if I understand you…so this would be the way if it would be implemented or this is possible in this way.

Hi @elmex04, what I meant is that if we are going to enable this, then we will create a general solution that works within Backlight. This solution would negate the need for you or us to script or call server-side scripts. Backlight doesn’t make command-line calls. It may technically be possible to code something like that, but the result would be OS-specific and the mechanism dangerous.