Publisher REALLY slow to upload

I just saw a post over on the Adobe forum that says they have a fix for this. It’s going through the testing process.

5 Likes

I might have found (by accident) a work-around for the time being. If your publish process seems to stop after 1 image, in LR move away from the folder you are publishing. Just select some other folder and you will notice that the process progress indicater in the top left corner resumes the publish process at the normal speed.

2 Likes

There is mention of this issue and a resolution in the pre-release for 11.3. I haven’t tried it myself.

FWIW, I am having same problem. Stalls after first image is uploaded. I restart LR and can then resume albeit it’s slow.

LR seems to be slow when doing an Export too so I do sense this is an LR issue.

Thanks, this actually worked for me. It’s still a bit slow to upload but at least it’s not frozen. :grinning:

I have the same problem. Hangs after one uploaded image. I’ve tried the select another album as suggested and that allows one more image upload. I have to click back and forward between the collection I’m uploading and another. This is driving me demented as it takes 500 clicks to upload a 250 pic album.

Install version 11.1 of LR

1 Like

The upcoming version 11.3 appears to fix this issue. The release should be coming very soon.

2 Likes

Slow upload. This is still an issue for me at LR CC version 12.4. Anyone else or is this just me?

Not slow for me, and I’m on a slow DSL connection.
Are you having Publisher create large renditions for download or cart?

Thanks, Rod!

Using current version BL with latest LR CC Classic: My current speed is 2.3 seconds per photo @ 1020px longest edge @ 60%.

I realize that YMMV for all kinds of reasons. I’m using Ethernet - Router - Fibre and seeing 300mbs upload speed on speedtest.net.

What is curious is to see how fast I can move the files around outside of BL, and then outside of LR CC:

Using LR CC Classic, if I “export” the same batch of photos from one location to another where I again resize to 1020px @ 60% it takes .38 seconds per photo and that’s from one location to another on a hard disk or from an HD to SSD.

If I upload the “exported” shots to Dropbox, it’s .32 seconds per image.

If I upload the “exported” shots using Filezilla to my server, the same server where I am uploading my galleries to, it’s .25 seconds per image.

So even if I combine the time to export with time to upload results, I’m at .32 + .38 = .7 seconds each image.

2.3 secs using BL/LR vs .7 secs per image if I do it mechanically.

FWIW, I don’t expect BL/LR to match what I am getting mechanically. One could argue there’s really not that much time difference to worry about, but if you’re uploading 500+ photos for client galleries as I do quite often, then it gets annoying when you are otherwise used to lightning uploads in my environment.

To be clear: No complaints here, particularly when you take into consideration how much time it takes using whatever other alternatives might be out there – I know of none. I just want to be sure there’s nothing more I can do in things like LR or BL “preferences/settings” to make things faster.

Have you tried exporting to desktop, then uploading to Backlight?

Doesn’t solve the problem using the Publish Services plugin, but as long as you’re timing things … :wink:

Also, take a look in Backlight’s settings at the “Publish Master Renditions from Lightroom” option.

1 Like

Thanks, Matthew!

Enabling the “Publish Master Renditions” provided no timed improvement. Tried it several times to be sure.

I did not try exporting to desktop then uploading to Backlight. But let’s say I did and the result was similar to what I am getting outside of BL i.e. <1 second per image: I would rather live with what I am getting now for the sake of less workflow vs more machine time.

Hi @LifeIsABeach, to narrow down where the slow point is, can you try publishing a test album to my test server? I’ll send credentials in a direct message.

Done

Was there any difference in the time it took?

4.6 secs per image. All settings, images, etc., same. 3.9 secs on the second try. Anything else you want me to try?

FWIW, I did a ton of shopping before I settled on the hosting service I am using. It’s always been very fast. The servers are run well and kept up-to-date.

That seems like a reasonable speed to me. I’ve enabled publishing to master renditions, which should reduce the number of images that need rendering and uploading from Lightroom from 69 to 23. Can you try republishing the photos and let me know how long they take?

First time took 5.21 seconds per photo. Second time was 4.3 seconds per photo. Fair to say the difference after you flipped the “master renditions” setting was negligible.

@LifeIsABeach, for some reason Publish Master Renditions from Lightroom was still set to No. I’ve changed it to Yes. Can you try again?