Smart Album Keywords Unexpected Behavior

I have been using smart albums to create trip specific albums, and everything was working great. I’m not sure when this changed, but the current behavior is not what is described in the docs. ‘+aaa, +bbb’ is not returning photos that have ‘aaa’ AND ‘bbb’, it is returning photos that have ‘aaa’ OR ‘bbb’. Search seems to still be working correctly.

For example, this search and this smart album have the exact same keywords set, but the album includes everything with ‘2022’ or ‘bahamas’, and the search returns only those with both.

https://photography.kylelucy.com/backlight/search/?q=%2Bbahamas%2C+%2B2022

Backlight search and the search in Smart Albums are not the same. In Smart Albums, search words are case sensitive, whereas in Backlight search they are not.

Could that explain why you’re not getting the results you’re expecting?

No, I’m seeing this behavior in every album, and I matched case when I created the albums.

Just as an fyi, I updated to 5.1.1 but am still seeing this issue.

I’ve done some of my own testing and am seeing the same.
In a test smart album, I’m using “+Zion National Park, +autumn” and I get an album with images that have “Zion National Park” OR “autumn” as keywords.
I get the same results using “+Zion National Park, -autumn”

It looks like it is just ignoring the qualifiers then. I assume that’s just a bug?

I guess. @Ben will need to take a look. There was an update to Smart Albums in the 5.1.0 update, maybe it happened then.

Hi @rod_barbee and @kmlucy, I’m looking into this.

@Ben Have you been able to recreate this? I’m happy to help diagnose it if not.

I’m working though things.
The takeaway is that keywords in smart albums is not the same as search. Don’t use requires or omitted terms for now.

Is there a way to roll back? I rely heavily on required words. The current functionality doesn’t work for me at all.

To roll back to what? Smart Album functionality is unchanged from when we first launched smart albums.

When I first created these albums, they worked the way smart albums are described in the documents, with the + operator meaning the keyword is required. I didn’t realize anything changed until I went to add a new album, but a few versions ago that functionality worked. I just don’t know how to roll back to an earlier version of backlight.

If it worked as you expected it was accidental. I am looking into this and will have a fix shortly.

The way it’s described in the documentation was accidental? How was it supposed to work?

The issue that I have found stems from how multiple keywords are split. That issue goes back to Backlight’s 5.0.0 and I can not see how it ever worked correctly. I am working on a fix but it takes time as I need to go back to a working version of 5.0.0 and make comparisons with the behaviour of the current version and either undo whatever may have broken it or put in a new solution. I will update this thread when I have made progress.

Hi @kmlucy and @rod_barbee, I have found the issue and put in a fix. Can you visit the Backlight Modules page and click Reinstall for module-publisher? I’d appreciate if you can confirm that this restores the earlier behaviour.

1 Like

@Ben That seems to have done the trick, all the albums are working correctly now.

Thanks for the quick fix. Sorry about earlier, I really wasn’t trying to be argumentative, I was just confused.

1 Like

Working great. Much better than my own keywording skills :thinking:

1 Like