Starting over with 5 from 3

I’m going to start over. I found a 3-year old thread, but had a few other questions. Below are screenshots of my folders on the godaddy server. Can I just delete the backlight folder and start over, or do I need to delete other folders that were created under 3?

Dave

It depends on what you plan to do. Did you want to preserve your current design, albums, etc?

If you want, you can just upgrade from your Backlight Modules page. That way you save all your designs, albums, sets, page text, customization, and other data.

But if you want to start completely from scratch, then you could delete your backlight/ folder and any other folders you created and don’t need for the site.
Don’t delete your blog/ folder if you want to keep your blog.

Thanks Rod. I’m starting over from scratch. I had trouble trying to update from 3.2.1. to 3.2.2. You can see the zip files are there for all the modules, but my backlight webpage still says 3.2.1. So I’m giving upa and starting over. My Publisher was broken in LR anyway.

Dave

Out of curiosity, did you get an error message when clicking on the Update All link?

No errors. When I click on that link, it takes me to this page:

Then I click update, and it takes me back to the backlight modules page, but nothing is updated and no errors.

Dave

Is is possible that Godaddy implemented something that prevents zip files from being extracted?

Dave

You shouldn’t be uploading zip files to install or update.

The way updates now work is that your site communicates with the Backlight servers and the updates are installed from that server. Could be GoDaddy is blocking that.
That is something that @Ben could probably advise on.

And if it is the case that GoDaddy is blocking update, you’ll probably have the same issues when updating or installing add-ons.

I just noticed there are zip files on there, such as in the modules folder:
backlight-3.zip
module-framework.zip
module-pages.zip
etc.

I didn’t put them there. I just assumed Backlight did that during the install. they are dated 12/26/23

Dave

@Ben will need to address it, he knows the ins and outs

1 Like

Thank you for your help, Rod.

Dave

My installations have no zip files on the server, so something is definitely not normal.

Something is not right with those zip files. In particular, our installer does not download backlight-3.zip, or any variation of backlight zip files. Our main files are copied over as core.zip.

Can you try removing those zip files, visiting the Backlight Modules page again and trying to install any updates?

Hi Ben,
I deleted the zip files and tried again to update. It put this zip file in there:

I have no idea what is going on. Are there other files I need to delete? For example, these dated today installer, master and class_lookup:

Dave

Hi Dave, sorry I have you the wrong information about the file named backlight-3.zip. The installer downloads core.zip but temporarily saves it as backlight-3.zip (or backlight-4.zip, etc. for subsequent versions) before unzipping and deleting it.

The files you have, including class_lookup.txt are all meant to be there. That file is used to cache some of the PHP file handling to improve performance.

Something’s not working on your server for either the unzipping of the files or removal of them.

Can you visit the following page in the Backlight admin. Special Links (either available on the main landing page or as a main menu option) then List PHP Modules?

You should then see a list of modules. Can you copy and paste them in here.

I’m on vacation at the moment with sporadic Internet access, so may be slow in getting back to you.

Hi Ben,
Thank you for helping on your vacation! I’m not an emergency, so please take your time. Here is the info you requested:
Installed PHP Modules:
Core
date
ereg
libxml
openssl
pcre
sqlite3
zlib
bz2
calendar
ctype
curl
hash
filter
ftp
gettext
gmp
SPL
iconv
pcntl
readline
Reflection
session
standard
shmop
SimpleXML
mbstring
tokenizer
xml
litespeed
bcmath
dom
fileinfo
gd
imagick
imap
inotify
intl
json
exif
mcrypt
mysqlnd
mysql
mysqli
PDO
pdo_mysql
pdo_sqlite
Phar
posix
soap
xmlreader
xmlrpc
xmlwriter
mhash
Zend OPcache

Thanks for that. Your setup is missing the ‘zip’ module.
Do you have any where in your hosting control panel where modules can be enabled?
If not I suggest asking your host’s technical support for it to be enabled.

No worries about helping out during vacation. Backlight is a passion project, so what I enjoy working on outside of my day job.

It looks like I have lots of control, but I’m in the weeds. Here is a screenshot of my php admin home page. I don’t see anything that says “modules,” but lots of stuff I’m sure I could screw up…!

Can you help me navigate this?

Never mind! Found it with some creative google searching. Here is a screenshot. I checked it. So unless I hear differently from you, I will delete the backlight zip file(s) and try again. I checked back in the Backlight admin; zip is there now.

Thanks!

Dave

It worked!!

Now for the hard part… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I thought I had added a check and appropriate message for missing Zip modules. That may have been after BL3 though.