Unable to upload portrait orientation Images to Pangolin Essay

Images are sized 2000 pixels on long edge and same file size as landscape images which upload properly. I get the following error message from Backlight 5.3:

The photo could not be uploaded: Unexpected error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8192 bytes) in ImageResizer.php on line 52

You may need to increase the upload_max_filesize setting in your php.ini file

in Backlight > Special Links > View PHP Info, look under Core for upload_max_filesize. What is it?

Are you using Backlight or Lightroom to publish images?

Rod
I’m using Backlight 5.3. The problem is specific to Pangolin Essay. The images upload fine to regular Pangolin albums.
Regards,
Luke

Could be that Essay requires more php memory than regular albums? I don’t really know.

The error mentions ImageResizer. I saw some reference to image resizing when searching the forum.
So the issue could then be memory_limit, also found on the View PHP Info page. Can you check what that is?

memory_limit 32m 768m

I would try to change that local limit to at least 512

if you have a php.ini file in the root of your site you cam download it using ftp and open it with a plain text editor or a code editor, make the change then save and upload.

Rod

I increased memory_limit to 512m, but get same error message.

@Ben will need to take a look.

I was able to upload the portrait orientation images by changing the album template to a regular Pangolin one, uploaded the images, changed the template back to Pangolin Essay. Album works properly now, but this looks like a bug.

Essay isn’t doing anything at all different than other types of templates. It’s the same upload mechanism all around. Are the image rendition sizes for essay set differently than for albums?

They are 2048 x 2048, which is higher than the templates that have no problem with verticals.