Use of custom thumbnails

I have started again to do some work on my albums and have come across a question related to custom thumbnails. I have a custom thumbnails album as described by Matt some time ago and all the images I have produced for this purposes are there. So far so good.
When I now create a new album and want to choose the image for the album thumbnail I am presented with a list, which contains the images from the said thumbnail album as well as all the images in the album I try to set the the thumbnail for. So the first question is: Is this the intended solution? Should I see the album images as well as those from the thumbnail album or only those from the thumbnail album?
My second question is: How are the listed images ordered? I my case they seem to be listed in random order, at least I can’t make any sense of the order of the listed images. What should be the normal case and is there a way to change the order of the list? Especially when having a lot of images from the albums themselves (as it happens for album sets) it is very difficult to find the one I want to pick.

Thanks for looking into this and providing some advice.
Alfred

The behavior you see is as intended. The thumbs in the custom-thumbnails album appear at the top of the list and the actual album thumbnails below that.

I believe the images are ordered in the same order that they were added to the album

Thanks, Rod.
I had expected the first answer but not the second one. The list shows an unstructured mixture of album file names and thumbnail image names. Any idea what could cause this?

perhaps if you’re tying to select a thumbnail for an album set. All the thumbnails from all of the albums in that set would be on the list.

Correction on the order. The thumbnails will be listed by folder order. So if you have any album slugs beginning in an alphabetical order before custom-thumbnails, they will appear first.

But the listing should be in alphabetical order by folder (slug) name.

Hi Rod, here is a screencapture from the list:

It indicates, what I have tried to describe.

Ben or Matt will need to address this. Those scattered individual files should be in folders.
What albums should they be in?

The thumbnails are here: /galleries/custom-thumbnails/
and the images here: /galleries/4_wildlife/squirrels/

Matt or Ben, since Rod suggested you would need to get involved: Any comments on this topic?

Related to this post: Custom Hero Images
there will soon be a new way of directly uploading custom thumbnails for an album or album set

The ordering is a known issue. The way the plugin is coded is to use a storage that doesn’t maintain order. Unfortunately I don’t have a good solution to it. There’s no drop-in replacement with something that will maintain the order.

Thanks Ben, will put it aside then and live with how it is now.

managing custom thumbnails is going to get a lot easier soon:

Custom images is awesome! I wish we had this a month ago! I have been using a work around with inline images. I will be updating my main site even before its finished! When is the expected release date?

Soon. Maybe within days; definitely before the end of the month. I fixed two bugs last night, and I’m hoping we don’t find any more.

1 Like