Essay auto-update and "image group builder" not appearing

I am trying to set up an essay page, but I can’t get the auto-update icon to appear at the bottom right, and the icon for the “image group builder” doesn’t appear in the upper right. I am using a custom masthead, but I turned that off and turned on Top Pallet Title “Visible on Desktop,” and still neither appears on the page. The auto-update icon in the lower right appears on other pages as I would expect, although I have to turn off my custom footer as well. I am logged in as admin.

The page is https://www.bretculp.com/gallery/solargraphy-essay/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try adding text to the album first and see if that remedies it

I did add text, which can be seen if you click the link above. Unless you mean something/somewhere else.

I don’t know if this will make a difference, but try disabling phplugins. You’re also using the before and after gallery text script. Maybe it’s causing a conflict?

I did exactly that, disabled the PHPlugins, and nothing changed.

Upon further investigation, the auto-updater is missing from all my albums.

@Ben or @Matthew will need to look into that

Thanks, Rod.

Even if I use the default template “Minimal Light Start” for the Essay Album is still do not get the auto-updater or “image group builder” icon.

To get the icon, you have to look at your published album while being logged in! The icon should be in the top bar of your site.

I would send your (guest) admin Backlight login to @Matthew by clicking on his name and then Message.

Thanks, Daniel. I was/am logged in as admin and the icon is not appearing on the top and the auto-update is not appearing on the bottom. The auto-update appears on all pages except albums.

Let’s see what Matt finds.

BTW, I love your use of the hero image. Great inspiration!

Thanks!

@grover_c Did you send me a login? I don’t see any messages from you.

This may or may not help, but the image group builder did not appear after changing from an album template to an essay template until I flushed the browser cache.

I flushed everything I could find, including the browser. I also tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

have you tried clicking on the Update Album Files link?

have you sent Matt login credentials?

Yes and yes.

@grover_c So, this is weird, but … try using an incognito window in your browser. I’m not seeing the icons when logged into your site in my standard window, but I do see them when logged into your site with an incognito window. Honestly, I’m not sure why this would be. Maybe something do with with the way your host has configured sessions?

If I open my own site the very same browser window, I get the icons just fine.

Hmmm. I’ve tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome all using a Private or Incognito Window and I don’t see the auto-update of other icon. I’ve cleared the caches on the browers and in Backlight. I’m not sure what to try next.

Again, this seems to only happen on albums/essays.

Could it be something like the PHP version?
What should I ask my host? It’s Bravenet, https://pub39.bravenet.com.

Thanks for all of the effort.

Interestingly, it works on my iPad Pro, even without using a Private or Incognito Window.

The problem is using a Mac running macOS Big Sur 11.6.1. Any ideas?