Does BL 4.x run with PHP 8.1?

Hello,

I used the search, but can’t find a post where it says what versions of PHP BL 4.x latest version supports?

Would be nice to have such basic information written somewhere.

My host will not support 7.3 anymore, so I have to change versions to 8.x and would like to make sure that it is fully compatible.

Thanx

Hi @skipper, Backlight 4 is compatible with PHP 8.1 I have applied some silent updates for compatibility, which can be obtained by clicking Reinstall All under Backlight 4 on the Backlight Modules page.

Our policy is to support the latest version of PHP, be it 8.1 or 8.2, with the latest version of Backlight, currently at version 4. That sometimes entails some catch-up as issues come through. I have only had limited time in testing with PHP 8.1 - it was only released three weeks ago and it takes time for our development tools to have the version available for testing. If you do encounter any issues, please let us know and we will endeavour to promptly fix them.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

ok, I have set the php version to 8.1 yesterday and did not test my site. Today I did quickly check and got an error while calling up that page on my test site:

"
Something went wrong

is_file(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($filename) of type string is deprecated in WebImageHelper.php on line 230
"

If I set php version to 8.0 or 7.4 it works fine. I have set the php version for my site to 7.4 now and all seems fine.

Cheers

Peter

PS: I left the testsite at PHP 8.1 so you can reproduce the error

I assume that you checked that your Backlight installation is up to date.

1 Like

As @Daniel suggested. The specific error you had encountered was fixed in a silent update. This can be obtained by clicking Reinstall All under Backlight 4 on the Backlight Modules page.