Error on install

Hi @ollyt, I don’t have an ETA on suppressing those configuration errors. The underlying cause is a misconfiguration on your host, so you’ll need to take it up with their technical support. The issue is that imagmagick is being loaded twice, most likely once in etc/php.ini and again in a file under etc/php.d/

I can’t look any further into the SQLite issues without being able to see the backlight files from the FTP login. The one you created me doesn’t provide any way to navigate to your site.

One thing worth trying, which could potentially solve both the Imagemagick and database issues, is to change your PHP version from 5.6.40 to 7.*, (most likely 7.4, but the higher the better). These issues aren’t caused by the version of PHP itself, but by your host’s configuration of PHP, so changing the version may get you on to a more stable version of PHP as conigured by your host. See if you can change the version of PHP your site is using in your control panel.

Thanks Ben - I thought the last FTP I sent you gave you access to all the files on the site(I sent you a direct message today with the same ftp credentials I use to upload files to my root directory.). Perhaps I should have given you cpanel access instead? I’ll see if my host can help out - although they have been less responsive than you…

Hi @ollyt, thanks. I’ve had a look at your database file and haven’t gotten it working. Things I’ve tried:

• Downloading it and running the same query that breaks locally. That worked without issue.
  • Removing the file and re-uploading the file I downloaded. That made no difference.
  • Creating a new file and transferring the data from the old file to the new then uploading it. That made no difference.
  • Changing the SQLite settings in Backlight to the defaults for your host. No difference.

Something seems very broken with your host’s handling of SQLite. You may have some luck talking to them about it, but in my experience they’ll throw it back saying they don’t support third-party applications.

I can have a go at changing the version of PHP if you’re happy to share your cPanel login.

If nothing improves, you may want to consider shifting hosts. Do you have a lot of time invested in this particular host?

Years - I like their templates, but not much else. I’ll see if they can help me out and let you know where I land.

See how you go with changing the version of PHP. Version 5 has long been unsupported by the developers of PHP, and no longer receives security updates, so your host should upgrade it or provide a way for you to change the version.

Well @Ben, my last kick at the can I think. They upgraded PHP, I didn’t get the imagick error on load so I went to Designer and then designed a template and then went to save and got this

Unexpected error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/imagick.so’ - libMagickWand.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Which even to my untrained eye, seems a variation on the earlier issues and may indicate as you suggest some non-standard practices of SQlite handling on my host’s part.

On the lightroom side, I got this shortened version of the above error.

Unexpected error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/imagick.so’

Bummer that it worked for so many years and now not.

Hi @ollyt, all is not lost!

While that is also a configuration error on your host similar to the imagick error from a few days ago, we have a config setting to suppress errors like the new one you have encountered (specifically any errors that contain the text “PHP Startup:”). I have changed the setting on your server, so this should no longer be an issue. Can you let me know whether that has fixed it or not, and if there are any other errors?

The change I made:

1. Renamed backlight/env.php.skel to backlight/env.php. This file contains a variety of special settings which are disabled by default. The original name with ‘skel’ in it means that the file is ignored by default.
  2. Removed the leading // from line 30 so that it reads define('SUPPRESS_STARTUP_ERRORS', true);

I intend to add a similar workaround to the earlier error, but I have yet to consistently replicate it in order to be sure that a fix will do what it’s meant to.

I’ve had some luck in adding detection and suppression for your earlier error of “already loaded in Unknown on line 0”. The missing link was that the previous detection checked against “already loaded in Unknown on line 0” whereas the actual error message ends with “already loaded”. The full error only includes the line number when Backlight displays it.
While this won’t help you, this will be added to our next maintenance release.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Oliver.

Right. So I was able to clone an album, customize it, create an album in LR and then on hitting “Publish” I get the following error… More of the same I suppose?

Unable to perform action: uploadRendition

Unexpected error: File upload error - unable to create a temporary file in Unknown on line 0

Hi @ollyt, that looks to me as though the system folder for temporary files isn’t configured properly by your host. What happens when you upload an image is that the web server automatically saves them to a temporary folder before Backlight is even reached. Backlight then copies the image from that temporary location into the right folder, in this case inside an album. It’s that first step that’s broken.

Can you take this up with your host’s technical support? Just tell them that the web server is failing to save temporary files during file upload. This is most likely the /tmp directory.

Help @Ben My main site has disappeared replaced with filler text and says built by backlight. I’m not sure when this happened and am on the road. But can you confirm that wasn’t something that happened when you were helping me? I will also check with my host and see if they screwed something up!

Sounds like the default home page. Have you logged in to Backlight to see?

Somehow backlight was in my domain folder instead of in public html. Not sure how because I didn’t put it there Now I just have to figure out how to get my old site back

if the database is intact, it should be possible

Hi @ollyt, I haven’t touched your site. Let me know if you’d like me to take a look at the files. That’s quite worrying that things would move around without any action on your or my part.

Thanks Ben - the only thing I can think of is that Blu hosts misunderstood what I was trying to do with Backlight (using it as a subdomain for proofing) and moved it into the main folder thinking that I was trying to replace my original site. Thanks for getting back to me!

Hi @ben - My main site is back up. No explanation from my hosts, but it’s fixed. I honestly think they misunderstood how I am trying to use backlight and in my query about how the server is handling “temp” files, made some assumption that I was trying to use BL as my main site and so moved it up a level so it loaded as my domain. I will continue to poke and see if I can get them to set up the server to handle BL as I have searched hi and low and have yet to find a system that handles proofing like yours without requiring a subscription (not feasible for my use case.) So kudos to your product!

Oliver

@Ben. Hi Ben, I come hat in hand. I need to remove backlight from my inviewimages.com. I deleted the backlight folder and then when I went to my domain, I got an error www.inviewimages.com/backlight/installer/backlight/installer… I can’t figure out which index php to remove to get back to my old site which was working just a day ago. Any hints on what to do?

Hi Oliver, that doesn’t sound good! Sorry for the late reply. Have you made any progress on this? I tried to FTP in to see the status of your Backlight installation but the credentials are no longer working.