Lost icons in Backlight 4 gallery

Hi guys,

I have been using TTG for years but I’m a sporadic, if long term, user. I’m using Backlight 4 for my photography pages where I make free hi res versions of event photos availiable for friends and family.

I use publisher on Lightroom to create the galleries.

I have recently noticed that the icons on the page are bo longer shown. For example, the download buttons and evenr the social media buttons. You can see what I mean here

2023-10-08_19-12-01
2023-10-08_19-12-15

the gallery is here

Any ideas?

Yes, we’ve discussed this at length in other topics, like this one.

Short version, the easiest fix is to upgrade to Backlight 5. If you don’t want to do that, then you can follow Rod’s tutorial on how to fix it yourself.

And if that’s also a non-starter for you, then contact me privately with FTP credentials and a login for Backlight’s admin, and I can fix it for you, usually within a day or two of receiving that information.

2 Likes

Thanks Matthew, very kind offer to sort it out for me. I tried to have a go at following Rod’s tutorial and when I edited the page template to include the new ccs file I get the error

“Unable to save settings. The directory …/wp-content/themes does not exist. Please check your setting for Wordpress URL under Backlight Settings and ensure that Wordpress is installed at the correct location. in AThemeEngine.php on line 125.”

Could this be something to do with my recent migration to a new server with my host?

That usually means that the page template you’re editing is assigned to your WordPress template and that it can’t be saved to the server. Check WordPress URL in Settings under WordPress. It should be: https://blog.peterblandford.com/

Thanks Rod, looking at the wordpress settings, the url seems correct

But there seems to be an issue, I went to export the them in backlight and got this error

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
In Backlight, look under Settings > WordPress : WordPress URL

SNAG-0746

Looks fine

I suppose you could try disconnecting your page template from the WordPress template or turning off “Export on save.”

Thanks for the suggestion Rod. I am not sure what you mean by disconnecting my page template but
turning off export on save certainly seems to help and i have noticed that the social icons now appear on the blog but not the other pages

This brings up two questions

1. why can I not export my theme either automatically on save or manually
  2. why are the icons not showing on the other pages and galleries?

Your page template is being used for your WordPress template. I’d try cloning the page template and assigning the new page template to the WordPress template. That would disconnect your site’s page template from the WordPress template

The error message suggests that the WordPress URL in Backlight settings is incorrect. You’ve checked that so I don’t know what else it could be

did you add the Font Awesome 5 Free assets downloaded from the Font Awesome site? I don’t see anything in the page source code calling for them.

Exporting a WP theme requires Backlight to have access to a file system. This is my setup:

Here, Backlight can access the entire WP installation since it’s a local directory /blog. For you, the blog is not part of your home directory but in a subdomain. That’s why I think it doesn’t work.

Did this work before? Do you have a separate Backlight installation for your blog?

Most likely your subdomain is mapped into the filesystem of your main domain. I would try to use a relative path to point to your WP installation, eg ../blog.peterblandford.com

1 Like

Thanks Daniel, I do seem to have structured it in a weird way. Looks like I have a blog.peterblandford.com directory at the same level as a peterblandford.com directory which has /backlight as a subdirectory. Changing the wordpress url to …/…/blog.peterblandford.com seems to do the trick

2 Likes

did you add the Font Awesome 5 Free assets downloaded from the Font Awesome site? I don’t see anything in the page source code calling for them.

No. I am an idiot!

ok I created the folder as it was not there and copied the contents of the fontawesome zip file - it seems to work, but as you suggested in the blog a couple do not show. I tried to follow the inspection instructions but can’t get my head around what I need to do.
The ones I’d like to show that the download icon which I think used to look like a cloud and the url link from here

Try to add following to your custom css file:

`.fancybox-pallet .fb-image-download > a::after {
font-family: “Font Awesome 5 Free”;
}

.fancybox-pallet .fb-image-permalink > a::after {
font-family: “Font Awesome 5 Free”;
}`

Brilliant. Needed a little tweak to make it work

.fancybox-pallet .fb-image-download > a::after {
	font-family: "Font Awesome 5 Free";
  	font-weight: 600;
}
.fancybox-pallet .fb-image-permalink > a::after {
}

Thanks for your help.

By the way I was trying to work out how to upgrade from Backlight 4 to backlight 5, more to support the development than because I need any of the new features. I saw that I should have been emailed a discount code as a Backlight 4 owner. I can’t find that email, is there a reason that the there is not an upgrade path and cost including discount from the backight admin section?

You’re also missing the down arrow in your breadcrumbs. I think that one requires the font-weight property added.

ul.breadcrumbs li:last-child::after {
  content: '\f107';
}

That was probably a year ago at this point. Try sending a private message to @Matthew

1 Like

You’re also missing the down arrow in your breadcrumbs.

Added thank you. I have just noticed that the icons do not seem to work on the blog but they do on the page. I have clicked “export theme to wordpress” and the wordpress template uses the same Page Template as my pages and albums. Do I need to do something to refresh the theme on the wordpress side?